About Vue Grand
Vue Grand History
On the 17th July 1881 the first brick was laid for what was to be Queenscliff’s most extravagant and outstanding hotel. Only six months later the first portion of the hotel was completed. On the 22nd December 1881, the Adman’s Grand Hotel was officially opened. The new building is acknowledged as one of the finest and best-appointed hotels in the Colony, affording a magnificent view of the bay and the surrounding country. The hotel was serviced by the steam ship “The Ozone”, carrying passengers down from Melbourne on a two hour journey.
“The Ozone” steam ship was supplemented by the “Hygea”. The Vue Grand’s ballroom was dusted with a swirling finery of aristocratic ladies, dining under the high domed ceiling. By the turn of the century Queenscliff reflected the gentility and the wealth of the Southern Capital.
October saw a huge fire ravage the hotel, the exact cause of which was never discovered, but the four year old son of the managers remembers playing with matches in an upstairs room prior to the family going to church. Two-thirds of the original building was saved and many of the architectural features can still be seen today. By 1930, two of the three floors were resurrected and ready for business.
Equinox Hotels Pty Ltd purchased the Vue Grand Hotel. The building was literally stripped, and restored retaining its Victorian ambience and re-opened for business in late 1983.
Vue Grand was awarded Best Fine Dining Restaurant in Victoria for 2005 at the AHA Awards in Melbourne.
The Turret Suite is opened after 80 years of being unused
The Grand Dining Room was awarded Best Fine Dining Restaurant and Best Cellar of Local Wines in the Golden Plate Awards for Greater Geelong area.
- The Grand Dining Room has been recommended in the 2012 “Age Good Food Guide”
- The Grand Dining Room was awarded Best Overall plus Best Fine Dining Restaurant and Best Cellar of local Wines in the Golden Plate Awards for the Greater Geelong area.
- For the first time in history the Vue Grand offers beer on tap with the opening of the Vue Street Bar.
- The Grand Dining Room was listed & reviewed in the “Age good food Guide”
- The Grand Dining Room was awarded Best Cellar of Local Wines and a finalist in the categories of Best Dine Dining and Best Customer Service in the Golden Plate Awards for Greater Geelong area.
The Grand Dining Room was awarded Best Restaurant & Best Overall for the State (includes the Geelong and the Otway’s, Bendigo and Ballarat Regions). Plus Best Restaurant – Contemporary Dining.
The Vue Street Bar is listed on Lonely Planet.